Metallica - Death Magnetic

Discussion in 'Creative Writing, Graphics, Movies, etc.' started by Retsah, Sep 3, 2008.

1. GeneralNemesis
    Veteran

I listened to the CD a couple times now and It's really good. So you can blow me if you don't like it.

2. GeneralNemesis
    Veteran

Ok, I found a better way to put the feel of the music and the sound. The CD itself seems like it wants to be a correction for the last Cd, to fix things, and if they do stop, to leave on a high note, not hat their last CD was. Even Unforgiven 3 is a correction for the second one. If they end on a cd, this one seems like it will be it.

The musics pretty good, don't go in looking to bash based off what they did a while ago, give it a chance and see if you'll be surprised.

3. Grumble

Graduate Student
    I heard the album premiere on the radio last night. Didn't get to hear all the songs but the ones I did were alright to good. Definitely better than their last few efforts, so I'll give it a chance. I loved them through the 80's, and I can hear some of those albums in the new one.

To anyone who thinks they should give up and stop playing... slap yourselves.

4. dr_jay
    Veteran

one bad album out of all of them. I can give them a pass for one piece of shit. Unlike load, reload, st anger, and now the new garbage.

5. Samakar
    Veteran

I agree with Jay. *high five*

Megadeth have always put out bad ass albums, even if some of their songs are a bit...questionable, they've never failed to understand their roots, who they are and their own writing directions. Their tones have always been biting and really well done, but Metallica, dear god they are done, done done done. If Rick Rubin can't do anything for them, then they're finished.

Simple as that.

Long live Megadeth \m/

6. Retsah
    Veteran

OK, let's not turn this into a Metallica vs. Megadeth thread. I love BOTH bands. I can appreciate Medageth sticking to their roots and can ALSO appreciate Metallica wanting to branch out and try different things not caring so much about what they know the fans want, but playing what they want to play themselves. Musical tastes change. We've all likely been through it. I know I have at least.

As for Load/Re-Load. I actually liked those albums quite a bit so I compare the two groups as 1 turd album to 1 turd album :)

7. dusanyu
    Veteran

Metallica Died with Cliff.

8. Grumble

Graduate Student
    I miss Cliff. :( More than anyone else, he got me interested in playing bass.

9. Retsah
    Veteran

Cliff was definitely the man.

10. chrisbeebops
    Banned

I have to agree with you. Load and ReLoad weren't bad. They were just not as good as what we had come to expect from Metallica. St. Anger was just terrible... I liked parts of some of the songs, but the steel-sounding ruined it for me... what were they thinking?

Death Magnetic is the kind of music I would have expected to hear after Black Album. It isn't as great as Black Album, but it is MUCH, MUCH better than everything they have produced since then. Vocals were a bit off... but then again Black Album was almost 20 years ago, and the band's age is starting to show.

11. dr_jay
    Veteran

Even the Black Album you could see them starting to slow down and change. i mean how many times do I want to hear Unforgiven in different forms. And as much as I enjoy the envolution of bands as teh next person (such as Tool who have gotten alot more progressive over the course of the years or Pearl Jam) but this reminds me of what happened to bands like Incubus who were good (up to S.C.I.E.N.C.E) and then went on a downward spiral.

12. GeneralNemesis
    Veteran

This shit is soooooooo good.

13. dr_jay
    Veteran

I just DL'ed the album (a store in France started selling it early) and I stil am not that impressed. The bass lines are non existant for the most part, james' voice sounds really rough now, the lyrics are garbage, and it just doesn't do anything for me. Some of the solos by Kirk are ok, but lars just can't do it no more.

14. Valindria
    Veteran

Software Engineer
    Did you watch "Some Kind Of Monster"? I think Lars could still do it but they do not want him to try new things.

What I have heard is better than St. Anger, but that doesn't take much.

15. Samakar
    Veteran

Holy shit we actually agree on something for a change. :p I agree that it's like, a millimeter better than St. Anger, but not that much. Atleast in my opinion.

16. Valindria
    Veteran

Software Engineer
    I don't think you and I disagree all that much. Mostly I'm just jealous that you look like Kevin Smith and can rock out so well.

17. Grumble

Graduate Student
    Hey between the three of us, we could form a XoO band. :p

18. umgala

EXCUSE ME SIR BUT INCUBUS IS MY FAVORITE FUCKING BAND AND I WILL KILL YOU!!!

That being said, I will agree that Incubus' music has softened up tremendously, but it is still amazing music. Same with Silverchair whose most recent album is much softer than the days of Freak, but I still enjoy it. I think it shows maturity of a band and transformation within the individuals of the band as artists. The case of Metallica, it will always be the same stuff. They will never get better, their music will never mature further than it did when the black album was released.

19. dr_jay
    Veteran

I watched "some kind of monster" as i won free tickets to see it. I had to drink myself into oblivion to forget the sights of kirk hammett riding a horse and being in a wet suit, james whining about his hours, and lars trying to sell his "art".

a 4" dildo in the arse (death magnetic) isn't as bad as a 10" dildo (load, reload, st. anger) but it still sucks.

when brandon started singing about smelling the scent of a woman on his pillow, i know he turned into a pillow biter. Just my take.

20. umgala

Well I think their next album should be a result of more shrooms, but I do enjoy the sober self conflicted, and or love song stuff. Most Incubus fan's will agree that A Crow left of the Murder is their worst album, but I must say when it's a rainy day, that album is amazing.