Final Fantasy 14: Realm Reborn

Discussion in 'Upcoming Game Chatter' started by PersonalRiot, Nov 3, 2012.

1. TwilightAngel
    Veteran Chronicles of Elyria Member

Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
    Might take a look at this... never like the other ff online. If they learned frm the last flop ff online then im in

2. Owainn

Business Owner
    FFXI? Believe it or not that game actually did very well. Even to this day the game is still running with its fair share of subscriptions. Considering it is over 10 years old and it MOST mmos barely last 3 years before going Free to Play, I would say its not much of a flop than most westeners would consider.

I also know these type of games tend to appeal more to EU and Asian consumers rather than NA. I know quite a handful of games that make MILLIONS over there where as here it doesn't even compare. For one Look at the Monster Hunter franchise. In Japan MH is a massive franchise with multiple titles and 3 MMO series. They even have conventions based on it, they release all kinds of gaming bundles with it, etc. Hell in Universal Studios Japan their medieval theme IS Monster Hunter oriented where as here in America its Harry Potter. Though you look at MH in NA and its just a niche market.

So just because something is not as popular here does not make it a "flop".

3. TwilightAngel

No the one this one was made out of.... the one that went f2p then shut down. So if you arnt sure which one I was talking about dont ask then go on a rant ;)

Also i found FFXI meh and boring. Im all about PvP thus why i loved RF, Aions PvP kinda annoying but one reason i stayed same for Tera and im excited for the new revamp to the PvP system and political system. Im happy tho this FF talking about PvP but seems to be only in arenas

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  4. Sogetsu
    Veteran

Logistics
    FF11 was not a flop. It is still going strong considering how old it is. They screwed up a little (or a lot to some people) on FF14 but hopefully ARR will be great.

5. TwilightAngel

Sigh... another person chimes in and assumes. No where i said anything about FF11 did I? Nope.

The FF this new FF frm is the one that was a flop went frm P2P to F2P in heart beat stayed open for about a yr then shut down and bam.we have this new FF which wouldnt be around if the last FF was not a flop

6. Sogetsu
    Veteran

Logistics
    It's the same game just over hauled. FF14:ARR. Wheb you said old I assumed F11 - now I remember why I don't respond to your posts.

Weehaw. OT: Good luck to the testing applicants.

7. TwilightAngel

Why bc I said not to assume? If thats the case maybe you should not be online if you get offended to easily.

Anywho thats why I said this new FF was made out of the ashes of the flop and hope they learn from the mistakes they made

8. PersonalRiot
    Veteran Xenforcer

Just take it to PM guys if you plan to go further, now it is just becoming clutter.

From the reports my Alpha spies have been feeding me, the new game has a far better base engine and detail of work put into it. Assuming they stick to the released time line, I look forward to testing it in a couple months. Even more so, if they can find the heart to make use of old school pvp types such as massive wars(Chip Wars), Castle Siege(L2/RO), and Free-For-All Faction areas.

9. Owainn

Business Owner

Um are you talking about 14? You do know A Realm Reborn and 14 is actually the same game right? You also do know that the game did not go free to play nor did it shut down? As a response due to the bad condition the game was in, the company gave anyone who had the game 1.5 years FREE subscription. On the last year they started charging $9.99 a month to help fund the revamp project. They have closed up the "save" feature in November to get ARR tested and and ready for release. (What I mean save feature is that the servers are currently up and running right now, but if you were to go kill a boss and got a drop from it, or make something, or level up, when you log back in it will not be.)

A Realm Reborn is an expansion to FFXIV, it was actually already in plan. They has story missions and side quest stories that lead up to the events of ARR.*For those who remember when it came out. If any of you remember the little red dot in the sky* The only thing is the previous team leader had the game with tons of restrictions and it was just a mess. The new team running the game has spent the last 2 years not only fixing the mistakes the previous team was making but also molding the game into something that the fans wanted more. They are using this massive expansion to overhaul the entire game.

So please know your facts before you start stating what did or did not happen, however you are entitled to your opinions and if you did not like it then I guess it just wasnt your cup of tea.

10. Sogetsu
    Veteran

Logistics
    Chip Wars or DAoC style (for some things) would be excellent although I do love FF for its PvE style not so much for pvp. Will be looking forward to how they implement it.

11. PersonalRiot
    Veteran Xenforcer

Just found this:

Seems to be a two tiered approach with battlegrounds(TDM, DM, and other typical game modes) and some kind of open world pvp with either base/point capture hopefully for resources of some kind. PvE/PvP are completely separate, thought I am curious about PVP ranks. Something that I certainly felt was lacking in GW2 compared to DAOC. Thought I don't know if they want to take that particular power route for balance sake. Either way, I hope the Open World PVP is either clan based or 3 faction.

12. TwilightAngel

And FFXIV was a flop thus why they made this new one.... thus my point so not sure what your point is now

Just like what they are doing with DarkFall online since it was a huge let down they are revamping the system and game and remaking the game to darkfall holy wars or something like that

Also I know my facts and thus like most games/ MMOs I use fansites and Wikis and if I can find them Dev blogs. Oh and thanks for pointing out the obv that you assumed I didnt know this FFXIV is a remake of the old XIV as clearly at one point Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn was only called Final Fantasy XIV 2.0 for some time then became A Realm reborn and wonder why they picked that name.....

Also this is what I was talking about when I said I hope they learned from there mistake

The initial PC release of Final Fantasy XIV received negative reviews. Complaints ranged from its essentially broken structure to its numerous bugs and glitches, leading to a consensus that the game was unfinished, if not totally unplayable. It holds a score of 49.33% on GameRankings and 49/100 on Metacritic, making it the lowest-scoring game of the series. Kevin VanOrd of GameSpot gave the game a 4.0/10. He called the game a "step backward for the genre", citing a bad interface, quest restrictions, awful player and NPC economy, and numerous other problems upon release. IGN gave a 5.5/10 (mediocre). 1UP.com gave the game a D+, saying that inside Final Fantasy XIV "there is a game with considerable depth and potential here, but it needs another six to nine months before it's ready for primetime," further stating that "it's impossible to recommend to anyone in its current state". PC Gamer gave it a 30% rating, reviewer Tom Senior writing that "the kindest thing that can be said about the Final Fantasy MMO is that it has a good intro movie". GameTrailers gave it 4.2/10, saying it "falls flat at every turn" and "isn't worth the hassle", and explaining that the launch for it was unacceptable because it was a "broken incomplete mess". In December 2010, the website labeled it "The Most Disappointing Game of the Year" in their "Game of the Year Awards" and also included the game in a "Top Ten Worst Sequels" feature.
    Cheat Code Central was more favorable, giving the game a positive 4.2/5 rating, but also initially noting they "can't recommend that you spend $50, and then $12.99 a month after the first 30 days, on a title that has as many flaws as FFXIV does."[9] This sentence was later removed from the review.
    The original version of Final Fantasy XIV has shipped 190,000 copies in Japan, 210,000 copies in North America and 230,000 copies in Europe as of November 4, 2010.

Official response

Square Enix has sent at least two apologies to its customers, recognizing the poor quality of the game, asking for patience, and announcing free trial extensions and reshuffles in the development team.

Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada admitted in a September 2011 press conference that "the Final Fantasy brand has been greatly damaged" as a result of the game's shortcoming

13. PersonalRiot
    Veteran Xenforcer

Also more tidbits:

14. Sogetsu
    Veteran

Logistics
    3 faction would be great and probably easier to "manage" although depending on how the combat mechanics feel and fluidity of it - PvP will be interesting.

15. TwilightAngel

Well hopefully there PvP system is nothing like Gw2, I found it a bit lacking and boring was expecting the PvP style from Gw but was meh. They might go the route of faction and guild battles

16. TwilightAngel

Well as I said I do hope they offer both Faction style and Guild, Faction could be the main focus but the guild battle could also offer another form, but as you said there the whole balancing issues

17. PersonalRiot
    Veteran Xenforcer

Opening Post updated with new information and cleaned up. Added simple roster of people who appeared interested from this thread.

18. Owainn

Business Owner
    I did not deny that the reviews sucked and that it was a major fuck up. This is why the previous leader was removed from the project. Your comment "Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn was only called Final Fantasy XIV 2.0 for some time then became A Realm reborn and wonder why they picked that name" Cracks me up. ALL games have Versions 1.0 2.0 3.0. The whole number is usually identified by major expansions where as the decimal number tens to be patches and such. 1.29 I think was FFXIV last. The companies give them names. Cataclysm, Assault on Balaurea, etc.. The reason why the name is such is because *warning lore alert* the Garlean Empire broke the seal that was holding Bahamut in place (The Red Moon) and launched a global assault and nearly destroyed everything (watch the video). The realm as we knew it came to an end. But in every ending there is a new beginning hence, A Realm Reborn. AKA 2.0

I was simply remarking on this comment you made "No the one this one was made out of.... the one that went f2p then shut down." Which was not true. Because even after its immense failure, even when everyone else gave up, their Veterans stuck with them in faith that the company would make up for its mistakes. The game was given to them for free for a year while it went through massive changes via patches. If you look at the lodestone forums you will see an ass ton of content addition and changes since the game came out. The game never "shut down" and even when everyone said they failed they did not let their fans down and just trashed the project or plaster it with micro transactions like some other companies did. So in the end the game did not go F2P nor did it "shut down bam!". But I will say I have seen companies fail or come out with broken shit. Though SE is probably one of the only ones I have seen who admitted their mistakes and has worked hard to make up for it.

I am unsure if they are still doing this I have seen them hinting at PvP being grand company oriented. If this is true then there is already 3 factions that players can choose to align with, The Maelstrom, The Twin Adders, and The Immortal Flames. If this is true I am hoping they allow people to change because currently the population is Flames almost neck to neck with Adders and Maelstrom on the low end. Also we do not know what they are going to be doing with Free Company. Perhaps they will allow us to assign our Free Company to compete against other Free Companies.

19. kinetic medic
    Veteran Camelot Unchained Member

SQA Engineer
    mmmm... strong the trolling is in here.... trolling leads to flaming, flaming leads to anger, anger leads to suffering......

let's agree you're all wrong and that the new version of the game will be awesome mmmkay?

-KM

20. Vangelis
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Mr. Mom
    Suffering leads to depression;
    Depression leads to Twinkies...