Diablo 3 - Imminent?

Discussion in 'Upcoming Game Chatter' started by PhoenixDog, Jun 24, 2008.

1. PhoenixDog
    Veteran

Delivery Receiver - Sears/Futureshop/Bestbuy
    We don't know if Diablo has ever been claimed as Satan. We've never been informed of the birth or existence of the fathers of the prime evils. Also regarding Christianity, there isn't one specific religion in Diablo, but there have been many links to the Christian beliefs. None more-so than Tyreal himself, very much akin to St. Micheal (An archangel for the heavens, known as the Field Commander in heaven's army - The good Angel of Death as opposed to Samael, the evil Angel of Death). Tyreal was the only remaining Archangel in Heavens army to have a care for humanity.

I don't know DnD well enough to base anything off that. I'd love to see what you can come up with though. If you make a deep theory, I can go into more of it with you. I just don't know about Baator or anything like that.

2. PhoenixDog
    Veteran

Nah, just that my mind never stops working. And I have done a LOT of research into this game thus far, ever since Day 1 of the teasers. I didn't start the discussion on here because I couldn't link it to anything specific until Tuesday.

3. The Cox
    Veteran

Well I will give you this much, you do have very good and interesting theories.

4. PhoenixDog
    Veteran

ONE last thing before I go to bed. Regarding by above theory with linking Tyreal to St. Micheal. I mentioned Samael, the evil Archangel of Death. He could quite well be linked in Diablo to Izual - who in Diablo was an evil Archangel with a vindication towards humanity. Just another link to throw around.

Ok, I'm done for the night. I await the responses for the morning =)

5. FliggenMan
    Veteran

Student/Teacher
    on the summary of the game on the d3 homepage it mentions fighting in "even in heaven's luminaries". id say thats a pretty good indication of at least some heavenly inscapes. and "the heavens shall tremble" is just a great catch phrase. it basically means that the forces of darkness are all the more frightening and terrible this time around. kind of like the difference between "Im gonna kick your ass" and "I'm gonna kick your ass so hard your shit will have footprints in it".

also a juicy tidbit: the faq hints that deckard cain has fallen under the influence of dark forces...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  6. Reikall

Random tidbits relating the Diablo world to Christianity:
    -The first two bosses (Andariel and Duriel) have names alluding to those of angels. All angel names end in -el (Michael, Gabriel, Sammael, Uriel, Raphael... you get it). Yeah I know, Lucifer doesn't end in -el... I don't get it either.
    - Hell is mentioned (to the best of my recollection anyways) as the origin of the prime evils.

Sidenote: How the hell is Deckard Cain even still alive? He looked about to bite it at the end of the last game and here he is still kicking two decades later... That man is doing something right.

Other sidenote: The Christian God (or any ultimate force of good) is never mentioned in the game, but all those town portals have to come from somewhere right?

7. Tzunamis

Correction on the Izual comment Pdog, He was not originally a evil entity, he was sent on a mission against hell and was corrupted by the evils who in turn sent him back against Heaven and Humanity.

8. SamHamwich
    Veteran

During the cinematic teaser, you see a fiery ball falling from the heavens, and what looks like the landing area. Perhaps that's what going on. It could be a new fallen angel we will be facing.

9. Zarash
    Veteran

Student
    Wow there are a lot of different theories and the release date isn't even announced. PDog is going to have a lot of theories by the time we know the story line

10. Seth_Almighty
    Veteran

Working Man
    I hope so. Necro's were always my favorite, especially the bone aspect, which is absent from the witch doctor. They just seem to be bred to take the necro's place (minions/poisen/(fire is different)/curses).

EDIT:I read through the rest of the comments: Tyreal can't be corrupted! He was always my favorite. I love how Diablo represents angels, it just feels right to me. Keep up the good work PDog, means I won't have to do the research myself :p.

Also anyone looking for lore going up to Diablo III, they have a nifty section in the website called Dekard's or Cain's journal, which is fairly cool, narrated history w/ the cinematics from Diablo II included.

11. SamHamwich
    Veteran

And yes, i read in some Q&A log that a blizzard rep had specified that the witchdoc is NOT a necro replacement. All things are subject to change, but he did answer that one like they had thought of it before ;)

12. Lev
    Banned

Dancer
    Izzy is such a bitch to fight, it's total smitebait.

13. The Cox
    Veteran

However, the zombie wall the witch doctor has, is quite amusing

14. Seth_Almighty
    Veteran

Working Man
    It seems to function like wall of fire, but you can't tell in the demo because all of the monsters die in one hit.

It looks pretty cool though. : P

15. Lev
    Banned

Dancer
    http://www.xoohq.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2490&postcount=180

16. Seth_Almighty
    Veteran

Working Man
    I am not sure if it acts like a bone wall/hydra like you say. Unlike bone wall, no monster seems to attack the wall and it seems to be passable. It looks like one monster almost gets by at around 15:11, but like I said you can't be sure because they die too fast. Also I am not sure about hydra either, but I never really bothered with the skill. The only thing I remember about the hydra was that it couldn't be attacked and had a ranged attack, something I think the zombies lack. To me it seems to fit perfectly with the wall of fire, but it also looks like the zombie wall may have some sort of slow effect to it. I can't be sure, but the monsters seem to slow.

Also I saw that under summon mongrel you mention being powered up by locust swarm, well they also seem to be powered by the fire bomb as well. You can see fire mongrels when the female versions show up and also during the final boss fight around 17:12. They most likely adopt elemental damage depending on what friendly elemental damage hits them. It looks like skeleton mages, except you control their element and they aren't ranged.

This is another thing that makes me doubt the necro is coming back (only necro things left are bone /golems /maybe curses, although witch doctor has at least one). I saw the quote, "we have no specific plans, but if we thought we could do justice to the class and had some good ideas for it, the witch doctor certainly wouldn't prevent us from doing that." I am not quite sure if this means the necro is coming back unless they focus more on the bone aspect or change his focus entirely.

17. The Cox
    Veteran

They have my barbarian so I'm good. =)

18. Zarash
    Veteran

Student
    I didn't even play D2 and when they said one of the memorable barbarian skills or what ever they said, I knew it would be whirlwind.

I can't wait for this its going to be so much fun if its anything like the game play video. I'm trying to decide now if I should go out and buy D2 to play until D3 comes out.

19. Seth_Almighty
    Veteran

Working Man
    I owned the game, but I seem to have misplaced my CD cases, which had the CD keys. I checked the online store, but it is still 40$ for both of them, so I guess I will have to wait for D3.

20. Zarash
    Veteran

Student
    Where did you check that I know that I can get the Battle Chest with D1 D2 and LoD for $30 so $40 doesn't sound right to me