All Points Bulletin (APB)

Discussion in 'Upcoming Game Chatter' started by No_Smoking, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Blackwolf99

So you think only being able to experience the core gameplay in an area with only 2-24 other people counts as "massively multiplayer"?

Well, from my understanding of the definition, 100% instanced can't be an MMO. It's opposite of the very definition of "massively multiplayer". Lobby's do not count as persistant worlds. GW and the like are Lobby RPGs. Just because you sit around a lobby with a massive amount of other players, doesn't make it massively multiplayer. Just because they have fancy lobbys where you have to move your toon around, doesn't change the fact that it's still a lobby. It's a lobby where you pick from PvP or Co-op PvE matches.

You have the same type of deal in Crimecraft and Huxley. They are not MMO's. They are lobby RPGs.

Imo, a good general rule-of-thumb is if I start every single play session by choosing who I'm playing against or with in a match, the game I'm playing is probably not an MMO.

2. t0aster

*sits back and relaxes* Yep I got blackwolf doing my work now.. he's my bitch!

3. Valindria
    Veteran

Software Engineer
    I see what you are saying. Maybe my view on it is too broad. While I don't see playing Tiger Woods on XBox live as massively multiplayer, I do see GW as an MMO.

4. LexStriker

Computers and Technical Writing.
  5. LexStriker

G4 did a preview. Two things hit me that I am a bit concerned about. One, it is a third person shoot, not a first person. The next one was that melee was not part of the package yet... to be determined later during beta. But anyway, here is the link...

G4 APB Preview

I was on the Beta for Crimecraft, and unfortunately, that TPS and no melee gang oriented MMOG was very disappointing to me. All it was, was just another shooter with different clothes. Gang members with Assault Weapons, Machineguns, and Rocker Launchers. I felt that I was just playing another Post WWII shooter... no big difference. Even though I see many differences between Crimecraft and APB, I am just a bit gun shy right now and do not want to get my hopes up. I expected more melee and pistol fights than full blown modern combat. I just hope that is where this thing is eventually headed.

6. Blackwolf99

Yeah, Crimecraft felt more like Rainbow 6 with a tiny RPG aspect to it. I certainly hope that's not where APB is headed. Would be really disappointing. :(

7. LexStriker

8. LexStriker

9. Endless
    Veteran

Just received an email asking me if i wanted to join the beta for APB, which i promptly signed up for. Presumably anyone that wants to can sign up though!

10. Vandarin

This game looks pretty sweet but unless they really have a nice set of options and features, it seems like it would get routine!

I for one will be making a Bronx Mage...."HEY, YOU WIT DA FACE....WA YOU LOOGIN AT AYE? SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE NUKE....*SHHHHHHIZZZZZZZZZZ.....FWOOOSH.....BABOOM! 1/10 Taxi Cab drivers killed.

11. LexStriker

If one has already signed up for the APB Beta, one may wish to try again. I have registered twice in the past... and this was the third time. Usually it would say that I had already registered, but this one took... so I am not sure what is up here. If one wants to make sure they are registered, they may want to reregistered just to be safe.

12. LexStriker

Would appear there is movement towards the start of closed Beta.

gamespot.com

13. LexStriker

An update to the above... the Beta has begun...

MMORPG.COM

However, from what I have read, those that have Beta Keys are not suppose to tell anyone outside of the Beta... based on the NDA.

14. Kava
    Veteran

Study
    This game looks sick, hoping to get in beta, signed up forever ago, gunna try again.

15. LexStriker

There is a new 'hands on' article on the Games Radar Website...

APB – hands-on

Is anyone in contact with the APB Dev's to see if we can get XoO in the closed beta as a Guild/Clan? Would help some of us get into the Beta and that would be nice.

16. Earley

I've been asking for over a year, I don't think a clan invite thing is in the cards.