60 Dollars + 15/month

Discussion in 'Elder Scrolls Online Public Chat' started by KnowYourFoe, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Que
    Admin

Also what I am worried about.

2. Blasphemy
    Veteran

The F2P model is the biggest money grab of all, hence the reason why so many developers are going with that model at launch or shortly after.

As for the pvp. No, this isn't a gank noobs anywhere game. It will have pvp that is geared towards taking keeps and teamwork. The way they have it set up, makes it seem like guilds will be able to hold keeps for a while and it won't be a flip fest. Being able to claim a keep, hold it and fly XoO banners over it seems pretty cool to me. Also, I'm sure it would take a lot of teamwork to get a XoO member enough points to become emperor.

If this pvp reminded me of Guildwars 2's, I would never consider playing it. Just because you can't gank noobs in all zones and there is only one pvp zone with keeps in it, does not = Guildwars 2 pvp. There will however be quest givers in Cyrodiil, plus non-instanced dungeons, so ganking will take place there.

Check out the video I posted in Reinier's info thread to get a better idea of how the pvp works.

3. decoyninja
    Veteran Crowfall Member

The video isn't really informative, but it is also 7 months old.

I will be getting the game for the TES factor alone. I think Cyrodiil will be an interesting zone and all... but let's be honest here: this is gonna operate and likely feel a lot like WvW. A lot bigger zone, sure. We don't know how much bigger though. The base mechanics are very very similar. The level boost to lowbies, control points effect a scoring system to determine the winner, the same basic level of base types and lesser control points, supply lines, the same basic process in regards to offense and defense in relation to keeps. I can see them doing it better and improving upon the WvW system, but it definitely has all the same basic mechanics, strategies and pitfalls.

The biggest pitfall might be what happens to the zone if one faction dominates the other two as was somewhat common WvW. The WvW zone becomes a deadzone for however long that match-up lasts (which is going to be a long ass time in ESO). The only counter I think ESO has to this is their attempt to make Cyrodiil more of a part of the leveling process. It also sounds like being a victor in Cyrodiil will be more rewarding (bonuses to cash, buffs), but that could either help solve the problem or enhance the problem. Putting the guild-run auction houses in Cyrodiil could be a very good step though as it will force a level of activity to the region, from what I've read these will be the only auction houses in the game and will control the economy completely. It motivates people to hit Cyrodiil and do well, but if a match-up is bad your campaign will have no economy whatsoever. It will lead to campaign changes for sure.

I am excited for the return of open, public dungeons.

4. s o k a r
    Veteran Star Citizen Officer

Become terribly boring after two months with no real PvE or PvP?

Or just the typical "wow clone" treatment asshats give out when they don't realize they are playing a GENRE.

As for the monthly.... I remember my first mmo. Oh, wait it had a monthly too.

5. FriendlyFire
    Veteran Star Citizen Member

I've recently been reading up on this and I would pay a sub.

ToR lost sight of the fundamentals long before Beta invites started going out. I'm not sure on the direction of this game though.

6. TwilightAngel
    Veteran Chronicles of Elyria Member

Wells Fargo Home Mortgage

Well ToR did feel like playing WoW just in space and with cutscenes.

7. decoyninja
    Veteran Crowfall Member

What is "the ToR treatment?" Too much storyline?

8. s o k a r

Meh, so far its a two thumbs down game.

Pretty much very mediocre mmorpg gameplay with TES lore(if we can call it that).

TOR wasn't terrible they just refused to keep up with it. Initially the game was great. Then they screwed pvp, and never added anything to pve at a pace that could keep up with the easy mode mmo's are going along with.

9. decoyninja
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Of course it will go F2P, but more because that is the destiny of all MMOs. Not really a negative against any game that eventually succumbs to F2P after trying the P2P route, it isn't something that really works for completely new game releases now-a-days with the MMO market so saturated with games. Only older games with long established populations already loyal seem to be immune. I think publishers of new MMOs know this too. I think they release P2P having a F2P plan in the backup, just to get that little bit of up-front sub money. Nothing the developers themselves can really do about it.

Since this thread is already playing fast and loose with the NDA, I'll play devil's advocate a bit.

The game seems to have the beginnings of everything it is supposed to have. The typical TES-based dialog intrigue with the skill hunting progression. The exploitative world with distracting tasks that take you away from where you were originally going. I had to try out all the new weapons I got, I had to keep leveling different skill lines and then stop myself and focus. I had to wonder off the path towards landmarks as they appeared. Dark underground areas with traps, I was happy. Part of me was listening to the cynics and expecting more of the typical MMO with TES lore thrown in but I was surprised and had a lot of fun. It isn't the co-op TES game I was hoping for, but it does strike a happy medium between TES and MMO as to not seem the generic MMO experience.

I only hate that we are missing certain skill trees that I would have thought mandatory, but I also know certain trees are missing simply because they aren't finished so I put in my feedback and hope they do the right thing. If they want to launch without a sneak skill line, that is their funeral. I also really dislike that certain schools of magic are restricted to players because they have been bound to classes. This isn't news or beta-only info of course: we already knew that if you wanted illusion abilities you had to be a Nightblade, if you wanted conjuration you had to be a Sorcerer. Just seeing it in action made it hurt more. Right in my feels.

Of course this is also something that they can remedy later through leveling and allowing the discovery of new skill lines, I am pretty sure I might have stumbled across a hidden skill line through NPC dialog (not a guild skill line)... and it did offer some cross-class functionality. If they keep a few of those hidden around and offer a few of the cross-class things I'm looking for through them, I'm getting this game without question. I wanted a classless system, but this might be just as good if they have enough random skill lines waiting to be discovered. The hidden skill line was also the only NPC interaction I found that was unmarked with the quest arrow, I was hoping for less in the way of arrows. Little hand-holdy compared to past TES games.

10. decoyninja
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Horizontal Progression. Pick a path, level and improve it... or go a completely different direction... or hybrid the playstyle. You pick where the experience goes.

It has more skill/ability freedom than any other game on the market so far. Even with classes (which I think was a mistake to even throw in the game). I'm not talking about freedom to change class, but freedom to build a class. The only other game even wanting to do this is EQ:N. You can throw fireballs in heavy armor, mage tank?

Public instances. The return of public instances for PvE and PvP content alike has been long overdue, I shouldn't have to say more.

Cross-hair combat redone. This isn't the first game to do cross-hair action combat, but the soft-lock system adds a new twist that works well. It isn't full skill-shot combat where a latency spike means a trip to the graveyard. The hover and fire mechanics ALMOST work like target locking from tab target games, but use the pathing and interception mechanics of other MMO attempts at action combat. And I say attempts because MMOs haven't done action combat well. We were hopeful for Tera but learned that the game just couldn't handle abilities being thrown out at great distances, which led to the game almost having no ranged classes. Playing an archer who has to fight in almost melee range is no fun. This time an MMO attempts the middle ground. It is engaging compared to tab-target games, but has the possibility to provide smoother play and server response than past action combat game attempts. It is its class design, a hybrid, not afraid to take from other games and improving upon them.

No cooldown, all combat limitations are based around resource management. You don't stab someone with your dagger and then forget how to stab someone with your dagger for 5 seconds.

Observation based gathering and discovery mechanics. Basically finding and picking stuff up off tables. Discovering chests and having to lock-pick them or risk loosing the gear. No glowing plants and having to learn what the material you want looks like. Traps, look for them or get hurt.

Voice-acted. Done before, but fuck you anyway. It belongs on the list. :punch:

Sneak for all. It can be improved a lot from it's beta state, but it is already miles above what other MMOs are brave enough to even attempt. Ambushes in Cyrodiil, I can't wait.

Combos and synergy. Done before? Kind of. Players can do it in some games, NPCs not so much. Well now they can. More challenging PvE possibilities than ever before. Which is related to their other twist to PvE. Taking the focus off of raiding against watered-down boss mechanics and attacking large health pools, putting the focus instead on fight mechanics more in line with multiple strong opponents to emulate PvP. We haven't seen this yet, but it is a new design focus that shouldn't be hard to deliver.

Mega-server. It isn't just having one server, but picking a server on a whim. TES players were complaining about the beta and having to see crowds around their turn-in NPC, not realizing that the mega-server will allow them to get away from that. You can go DnD mode and only have a few people questing around you, or you can zerg your quest objective and fight for spawns like you are used to. More freedom from a game already given a good deal more freedom than we are used to.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  11. FriendlyFire
    Veteran Star Citizen Member

It was taking forever to level, if I wasn't chain running quests, it would probably take 30-40 hours to hit level 10. I think level 10 is when the PvP started.

Also it always felt like I was required to be questing, there never seemed a good reason to explore.

12. EniGmA1987
    Veteran Staff Member Xenforcer

Without revealing too much, Ill just say that exploring was VERY rewarding to my equipment and pocketbook.

13. haibane
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Decoy, sneak was already awesome in EQ2 PVP server, so was track.

I'm really afraid of ESO :-( but it's ok i restarted skyrim.

14. TwilightAngel

They already stated ESO isnt not trying to innovative the MMO world its going to improve on already existing stuff

15. s o k a r

Just make sure you have enough lockpicks heh. Though, once I figured out how to lock pick I only broke one from level 1-11.

I'm still disappointed with "exploring" it's definitely along the lines of warhammer exploring.

Bottom line is that it really does live up to what the devs said it would. Nothing new. Plus there really isn't anything about TES in it. Don't expect "class customization" like you would in TES.

The only thing I liked was the levelling speed. Even though it was stupid that I had to "level" instead of the usual TES style.

16. Reinier
    Veteran

I think im going to sit out on ESO, I havent gotten a beta invite yet and I dont really want to pay a subscription fee on something I havent had a chance to try out first. There have been way too many other MMO's that get all hyped up before release and then the community dies within a few months after launch. $60 for the game + $15 a month is a pretty big risk to take on an MMO with the track record of most MMO's today. In the past I didnt have trouble paying $50 for the game and $15 a month but it just seems wasteful with so many games being released unfinished so that the comapnies could start earning money back on their investment asap. The news that the game will be subscription + micro transactions doesnt sound too good either. I think that the best subscription model that they should go with is the model that Age of Conan has now where you could either be Free to Play or Pay to Play but if you have a free to play account you cant acess certain parts of the game world.

I still have Skyrim with tons of unexplored stuff that I havent had time to play yet (I have all the DLC too and I havent even explored the DLC areas). The main reason that I havent had time to explore the skyrim DLC is due to a huge list of backlog games that I have and some movies that I want to see before playing skyrim. I am also waiting to upgrade my video card too (to Maxwell) next year before playing Skyrim agian.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  17. Noollab
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Programmer
    There will more than likely be an open beta at some point, that you can try out.
    That's my plan anyway, because I'm in the same boat as you.

As much as I like Elder Scrolls, and MMOs, I am super sceptical about ESO, and will definitely not be picking it up before I get to try it.

18. Kyoji
    Veteran Staff Member Admin

While ESO is far from the top of my list of games to play I would strongly disagree that 75$ is a leap of faith. Read up on the game. If you can't figure out by then you probably shouldn't play video games. Based on track records EVERY game will fail so pay money for how long you think you may play it.

For the record F2P models are more costly than subscription models for a lot of people. Those not spending 15$ish a month GTFO and pay some money so my game gets a decent development team.

Biggest problem with ESO is competition from ArcheAge, Black Desert, and Everquest Next to name a few at the moment; but it does seem like it will come out first which is a huge help to it. I am burned out on dungeon runner games. I want some meaningful PvP.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  19. decoyninja
    Veteran Crowfall Member

It isn't like you have to make a decision before the game releases either. There is a lot to be said for holding your money until the product has some reviews and community discussion. And I'm not talking about judging the game via beta content, but a released game. Will missing the first few weeks or even a month of level grinding be that bad?

Anyway, people always talk about how they have been burned by games. The solution is simple: wait to purchase. Pre-order bonuses, founder's packs, collector's editions, that is how they get you!

Advice I wish I followed more often.

20. TwilightAngel

Im just going to stand by my statement that it seems like another ToR and will get the same ToR treatment. Maybe not happen as fast but it will