60 Dollars + 15/month

Discussion in 'Elder Scrolls Online Public Chat' started by KnowYourFoe, Aug 26, 2013.

1. KnowYourFoe
    Veteran

2. EniGmA1987
    Veteran Staff Member Xenforcer

Ya it sucks so much that someone would price gouge. This is the most rediculous pricing I have ever seen! Have any other MMO's ever made you pay for the game AND pay monthly? oh wait.
    Unlike other MMO's (except Eve) you can at least pay for your monthly cost with in game money if you have enough. That is a better deal than any other major MMO out there. Seems like a great decision to me.

3. PersonalRiot
    Veteran Xenforcer

Welcome to every MMO ever that existed before the F2P apocalypse. Opt out of two coffee in a month and you have already covered the difference.

4. Kyoji
    Veteran Staff Member Admin

Elder Scrolls PvP = Guild Wars 2 PvP which is what has made me sad. If it comes out before anything else I MAY pick it up, but it won't be my final selection. It's a nothing new MMORPG sadly.

5. Sogetsu
    Veteran

Logistics
    I expected this.

6. decoyninja
    Veteran Crowfall Member

I anticipate the game more for its RPG and Co-Op potential more than anything. I think I might just wait for their inevitable F2P switch.

Let's be honest here. Most of the people anticipating this game are TES fans who don't normally play MMOs. They are people who pay maybe $15-20 for a TES DLC every 3 months and expect that DLC to have a LOT of content in it. They don't want to pay monthly for the promise they will get their money's worth. For a TES MMO they should have gone with what the TES player is used to, DLC mission pack style mini-expansions every 1-2 months. Put a $10 or $20 price tag on them respectively, make them optional but interesting and people will buy them.

7. Kyoji

We used to pay for MMORPG's like this so I don't think it's bad at all. In fact I pay more for the F2P Planetside 2 than I would if it were $15 monthly. So the model ESO is taking is much cheaper for me. If I pick it up it will be because I enjoy the franchise and wouldn't mind a casual game to play. I am still pissed at the horrible PvP implementation though.

8. Valindria
    Veteran

Software Engineer
    Ugh. I've been anti monthly fee games since I bought EQ and then never opened it when I found that out. IMO they should have done it similar to DDO with a blended option of Monthly to get everything or FTP with content packs. My problem is when I get at most 6 hours of game time a week it's hard to want to pay the monthly fee because I feel like I never get my moneys worth.

9. Zer010
    Veteran

Paramedic
    I know it might be shocking but I was HOPING for this. The FTP model has destroyed the MMO experience.

Let me elaborate just a little:

With a subscription model everyone gets the exact same game and all content is open to every player. You don't get hit in the face with the "item store" and "Xp bonus" shit every time you log in and in the long run you SAVE money. I have no idea how much money I've paid for Planetside which was "free" to play, but I'm sure it's over $1000 between my account and my kids. It would have been far cheaper for me to pay the 15 a month X 3 gamers and be guaranteed that everything was available to everyone equally. With the subscription model the game can be constantly developed and new content can be delivered faster.

When you have to put your name, paypal account or credit card number on something you tend to be a bit more polite. You get a lot less bottom feeding trolls just out to ruin the game for people because that becomes costly for them.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  10. Utherix

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  11. PersonalRiot
    Veteran Xenforcer

12. decoyninja
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Yeah, sorry Zer0, but you will never be rid of the "item store" in any future game you play. At this point you can either find a F2P game you enjoy, or get used to sub games that triple dip. Just keep in mind there are many F2P/B2P games where you might be enticed to spend money (like PS2/LoL/Firefall/TSW/GW2) but at least it isn't a requirement. It is all about willpower.

It isn't even a wowclone thing (which is a pretty laughable description for this game). It is just the greed to milk every little bit extra they can.

13. Utherix

I didn't say it was a WoW clone because of the business model. Its a wow clone because it is a WoW clone. Haven't you seen the gameplay? Looks like WoW, Rift, SWTOR, etc. Its got WoW questing, WoW dungeons, WoW mounts, WoW combat, WoW crafting, GW2 PvP, GW2 weapon skills, graphics looks like mashup of Rift aesthetics with SWTOR fidelity. Please name something unique about ESO besides the ES part. I'd really like to know!

The only unique thing I can think of would be the fact that you can be in multiple guilds. They haven't shown this mechanic in action yet, so its impossible to comment on how much it changes the game.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  14. Kyoji

The development team did supposedly say that they are not wanting to make something new, but rather take existing concepts and make them better. Only time will tell how that all plays out. I like the game concepts and I think the combat might be interesting with a wonderful storyline; I am just disappointed with the PvP implementation that mirrors GW2 (reason many left GW2). Perhaps there will be some open world elements to the game or various types of PvP. We will have to see.

15. decoyninja
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Have YOU seen the gameplay? Since when was Skyrim a WoWclone?! Because that is precisely what they have been trying to make, a SkyrimCloneMMO. You are clueless, I mean that post was seriously seriously bad.

Btw, WoW didn't invent questing, dungeons, mounts, combat (what a moronic thing to say).
    Graphics? As we have seen multiple times so far across many gameplay vids, the graphics are already way above Skyrim's console graphics, which is amazing for an MMO. The only thing that you have said that even holds a little bit of water is some skills are weapon-based skills that change on weapon switch... which I'm sorry, but that has also been a TES thing since the beginning, the only difference is now you see a hotbar and get class skills added in.

Oh shit... did he say "hotbar" and "class skills?"
    What a WoWclone!

16. Utherix

Its a pointless argument anyways. Soon enough the game will be out and we'll all know for sure.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  17. decoyninja
    Veteran Crowfall Member

What underlying WoW mechanics are you talking about that turn Skyrim into a WoWclone? Seriously. What could have Bethesda's past titles possibly done to make you consider this sequel to them in MMO form a "WoWclone?" You said combat which was laughably vague. You said questing and dungeons which are NOT being done in any manner close to WoW's iteration. The quests are attained via exploration. This means randomly finding them, little to no "quest hub" hopping, walk into a random cave and find a quest. They are TES style quests as we have come to know them. You don't even navigate the objectives with a traditional MMO minimap, but a Skyrim bar-compass. The dungeons are supposedly not going to be the WoW style Tank+Healer, fight big boss style. Instead focusing on hordes of mobs in a way they hope will mimic PvP. Everyone has aggro. Very unWoW. This is pretty 101 stuff from other long threads found in our own forums.

Well first of all... IT IS on console. You keep saying things that show you really haven't researched the game you came here to bash. Serious, this reminds me of the time you were telling people "Foot Soldiers and Fire Mages" were classes, or how it was confirmed we could "change our alliance." Secondly, the only reason Skyrim's graphics are better than ESO's at this stage is Skyrim's community generated modding. The base game for PC was not as impressive as what the game later became.

When you even say something is a WoWclone, you give WoW way more credit than it deserves by implying they are a source of the concepts being cloned. Honestly I just hate seeing the term used at all. I wish I could look up a new MMO coming out and read about it without hearing if it is a "WoWclone" or not.

18. haibane
    Veteran Crowfall Member

This ^

19. TwilightAngel
    Veteran Chronicles of Elyria Member

Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
    WoW question????? didnt know WOW invented the question system that been in L2 before WoW and in EQ I think

20. TwilightAngel
    Veteran Chronicles of Elyria Member

Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
    But I have a feeling ESO might suffer the ToR treatment