Program to Hardcode Subtitles into a MKV

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by twinblades, Oct 27, 2012.

1. twinblades
    Veteran

Student
    Hello, I was wonder if anyone happens to know of a program which I can hardcode subtitles into an MKV? I would prefer a free lightweight program, but any will do as long as it gets the job done. Thank You.

2. Doxy
    Veteran Camelot Unchained Member

3. twinblades
    Veteran

Student
    Handbrake works with one of the files I have, but the other two I need to do it to won't work because it can't do it with SRT subtitles. Do you happen to know of any program to convert between subtitle formats or of a program that will do the hardcoding subtitles to MKV for SRT subtitles? Thanks Again

4. mwhays
    Veteran

Stock Broker / Financial Planner / Registered Inve
    Did you double check? SRT is the subtitle that is most compatible with Handbrake. When you select the movie you want to use, pick the "subtitles" tab on the next screen. There is a button just below that says "Add External SRT." Pick that, locate your .SRT file, and check burn in to make sure it sticks. You're good to go from there.

Edit: Doh!!! I just saw MKV. My Bad, bro.
    Yeah there are convertor programs out there that you can use. I havent seen one that doesnt charge a fee. I'll look and edit post if I find one.

Edit: Yeah.. upon further reflection, I don't know how this could be doen without re-encoding the entire video- its just a quirk of mkv... which sucks. Doxy's second link seems to have a process to get it done, but it appears that this method would get pretty lossy video. Bummer. Get XBMC and be happy :) www.xbmc.org

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  5. twinblades
    Veteran

Student
    I use handbrake all the time to convert video files, but I have had little success in figuring out how to have it hardcode subtitles into videos so I can use them in iTunes to be able to stream to the Apple TVs throughout our house. I just have never had a reason or need to hardcode subtitles into any of the previous files I convert, but I just got a couple movies which I want the subtitles hardcoded into the movie because they aren't in english. The reason handbrake won't work for the other two files is because it can't hardcode subtitles that are of the format SRT for some reason. It is only able to do it to subtitles files that are SSA & VOBsubs.