Nvida 3D Play

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by twinblades, Dec 14, 2011.

1. twinblades
    Veteran

Student
    I recently got a LG Television (47LW5300) and had planned on using Nvidia's 3D Play to occasionally play a couple games on my television for fun. However, after hooking it up and enabling everything I was only allowed to choose between two resolutions which are... 720p@60Hz or 1080p@24Hz. I have been looking up the issue across a multitude of forums and it seems most of them have come to a consensus that it is due to a limitation of current HDMI cables. A couple of the people have stated that a current HDMI cable is equivalent in its visual capabilities to that of a standard DVI cable. I am still looking for some insight though into why the limitation of television is 1080p@60Hz. (Also I know DVI and HDMI aren't truly equivalent.)

2. EniGmA1987
    Veteran Staff Member Xenforcer

Well there are 3 kinds of 3D, so you have to have the right kind for Nvidia stuff to work. I dont know a ton about Nvidia's 3D tech, but I thought the monitor you used had to have Nvidias chip inside it to work properly as well? Maybe that was only with the 1st gen ones though.

DVI has always been pin to pin compatible with HDMI and can even pass through 7.1 digital audio. There is no limitation there at all. The newer HDMI has things like deep color support that DVI doesnt have though. I wish people would stop using HDMI since DVI is better and cheaper, but whatever.

3. twinblades
    Veteran

Student
    The TV is a passive polarized 3D which is the type of 3D used in movie theaters. The software's support is strictly limited to a handful of TVs currently and they are ones which can already render playback into 3D.

As far as I have known for monitors rendering in 3D by nvidia all you need is a monitor which can produce 120Hz and a "kit" which you have to purchase from nvida which gives you an IR Emiiter and a pair of active shutter glasses.

I still believe that there must be some limitation of the HDMI because from my research I have also found evidence that apparently all high definition media is shot in 1080p 24Hz. Also I have found that the PS3 and other gaming consoles which normally produce images at 1080p@60Hz have to switch to 720p@60Hz.

(Also in case you didn't know a regular DVI cord cannot be used to render a monitor into 3D. You must use a Dual Link DVI)

Thank you for your opinions and input also! I look forward as well to anyone else who has any suggestions.

4. Blackice
    Veteran

Baker
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

1080p@24 is one of the norm baselines for everything HDTV. Some versions go to 30p, 50p and 60p.

5. Nightmare LX

Sales micro center
    Id tell you to go with monster cables, best cables to go with better then any hdmi cables out there. look up monsters cables. =]

6. EniGmA1987

.... are you actually being serious?

7. twinblades
    Veteran

Student
    I believe that there is a HDMI 1.4b that came out in October that is able to produce the 1080p@60Hz@3D I was just looking for some opinions and thoughts on the issue. I am probably going to be purchasing one to test if it is truly only a limitation of the HDMI cable and not of the Nvidia Play. I just have a hard time trusting Wikipedia because of how easy it is to put false information. Also I was wondering if the information you saw on the page was strictly about 3D resolutions or just 1080p in general? I am wondering because the cable l have currently can do 1080p@60Hz on a normal 2D display.

Monster Cables are good cables however, they are ridiculously over priced compared to their competition. I don't mean this personally, but if you truly believe they are better than ANY cable out there you are sadly mistaken. I will not deny they make good quality products, but other company sell just as good cables at a fraction of the cost.

8. mwhays
    Veteran

Stock Broker / Financial Planner / Registered Inve
    Nooooooo!!! [throws hands in the air dramatically]

face palm... here we go. I've ditched many a a/v forum for the exact argument that is about to explode. Please, Enigma... we both know his fallacy... He- like so many others- has drunk the marketing kool-aid. But for the love of god, let it go!!

9. Blackice
    Veteran

Baker
    My guess would be that the cable itself is not intelligent, and therefore the 3D TV would have to offer the option whether it failed at attaining the desired Hertz level or not. Reason being that the TV has not tested the frequency and the cable connectors are uniform.

10. twinblades
    Veteran

Student
    [​IMG]
    A picture of my LG 3D TV trying to force 1080p@60Hz 3D of Portal 2.

11. EniGmA1987

The TV probably doesnt support 3D at 60Hz, only 24Hz. Many (all?) TVs are like this. Its due to the bandwidth required to run two simultaneous 1080p streams. I thought you meant you couldnt do a regular 1080p at 60Hz, I didnt know you were talking about 3D @ 60Hz. Otherwise I would have mentioned this limitation sooner. I know its a 3D TV, but I didnt realize you were trying to play the game itself in 3D as well. I guess Im retarded because after reading the main post again it seemed obvious to me.

Movies are displayed in 1080p @ 24 frames per second when watching in 3D, that is the standard format. Good TVs will play this but run the refresh rate at 48Hz or even 96Hz to give a smoother picture and prevent flickering of the image. But as for actually doing 1080p @ 60 frames per second, most TVs will not do this.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  12. twinblades
    Veteran

Student
    I still have a feeling it may just be a limitation of the current HDMI cables... Do all current 3D monitors use a Dual-Link DVI? If not... I am assuming the only other possible way to achieve a 3D image on the monitor is a HDMI cable... but then is the monitor cable of producing 1080p@60Hz?