Lease Instead of Buy

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Blackice, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Blackice
    Veteran

Baker
    http://www.cuttingedgegamer.com/index.html
    http://www.cuttingedgegamer.com/Gra...lid=CN2Aise46a4CFYGo4AodeSy8JQ#EVGA_GTX580_SC

I noticed this ad while checking my email. I'm curious as to what your opinions are in regards to this component lease system.

2. FriendlyFire
    Veteran Star Citizen Member

I could see something like this working.

I wonder if they thought about leasing full gaming PCs?

3. EniGmA1987
    Veteran Staff Member Xenforcer

I would imagine if they find that you overclocked or overvolted the card then you buy the card
    After paying a year, you already paid more than the card costs and then have to pay a fee of another month to buy the card if you want? So your paying about 25% over the cost of just buying the card
    I bet if you lose an accessory you get charged a steep price for it, same with anything even a little damaged
    If you have to break the lease I bet it is expensive too.

But good if you always want to run the latest GPU and have $60 a month to spend. I too can see this working out if managed right

You may notice in the early termination area that it says the company reserves the right to charge their fee's at any time. According to US contract law, if a change is made to a contract that affects you in a monetary way then you have 30 days to cancel the contract without being required to pay any sort of fee for termination. If 30 days pass after the contract has been changed then it is assumed you accept the change in cost and the contract resumes as normal.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  4. Alkihaul
    Veteran

I think the value is if you want to upgrade your card multiple times a year. However, the best card they are offering is a GTX580, it means they aren't allowing you access to the newest stuff (HD7970) right away.......

However, buying an upgrade every 18 months (keeping you very current IMO) you would be saving money as opposed to leasing.

Looks like just another opportunity to take money from people who want something they can't afford.

5. EniGmA1987

7970 was on the site when I looked a couple days ago... $1 more per month than a GTX580

Yep your right, no more 7970. And more brands of 580's too

6. Tal

Student, Round Table Pizza
    At 45$/month for a gtx 580, even upgrading every 12 months would be a better deal and I agree, that is as current as any gamer realistically needs to be. My gtx 460 is still running all of the games I play with no problems whatsoever.

Personally I wouldn't be too inclined to lease a card like this but I guess it just depends on how adamant you are on keeping your cards extremely up to date.

7. mwhays
    Veteran

Stock Broker / Financial Planner / Registered Inve
    Reading the details, you get what they are doing. 12 * (monthly fee) = one lease. At the end, you either hand it back, upgrade, or buy it out. You buy it out by paying one more month. So on the most efficient terms of ownership, you simple multiply the value of the monthly fee by 13 and then divide by the current retail price and multiply by 100 to get a useable percentage figure. Thats how you find the interest premium you are paying.

For the EVGA 03G-P3-1595-AR GeForce GTX 580, we will say the newegg price is correct: $529.99. It has a monthly fee of $57.99 and a 12 month term from this other website.
    To buy the card:
    $57.99*13 payments = $753.87 / $529.99 (*100) = 142.24% of street price.

Now, Im not gonna get into time value because that's irrelevant for one year, but you can see my point. Thats a steep price premium- higher still than a responsible credit line.

The only thing that is intriguing is the "Upgrade anytime feature." If we saw material upgrade every 6-9 months form the card manufacturers, then this might swing into your favor. You basically upgrade, they send you the new card, you send the old one back to them in the box, and the monthly fee adjusts to the new card, and you start your 12 month timer over. I wont bore you with the math, but that might actually pay over time- assuming you compare that to outright buying a new card every time a new flagship is released. I've never known anyone that actually does that.
    So, that's a ridiculous and academic argument. In the real world, things are different.
    I have this talk with clients all the time. if you cant afford it, dont get it. Just my two cents.

8. Kava
    Veteran

Study
    ^^ totally.

9. EniGmA1987

Well when they had the 7970 it was a good deal. I calculated it out and the year cost was same as buying one right now, so at the end you would only be out an additional $60 over outright buying the card. All the others didnt seem that great to me though

10. Alkihaul
    Veteran

$60 = 10% of $600 (approx cost of 7970) - dunno about you guys but even my credit card has a better rate and offers 2% dividends lol.

11. mwhays
    Veteran

mm, these leases are classically geared towards individuals that otherwise would not be able to afford a certain level of product- on credit or otherwise. Like leasing a nicer car, renting an apartment. You end up paying much more than a responsible credit card, but its worth it to some to spread out the payments.

I dont like this, because you have to complete the lease before you have any capital ownership. But, by the end of the lease, you have more than paid for the item. Therefore, you're investment risk increases at an accelerating rate the longer you hold the product. You have continuously diminishing return until the end- in which you have negative return. Therefore, its time to stop considering it from a financial standpoint and start looking at it from a want/need standpoint. Its a good deal (on paper) for the right customer.

I just wish there was a payment plan on parts websites like there is for a few of my favorite music hardware stores. for example, zzounds.com has a no interest, four payment plan on any purchase above $250. No credit check, no issues. You just need a VISA with a limit large enough to be capable of having the payment amount charged to it. There are so many good things about spreading payments out, especially when there is no negative risks associated. If that were available for PC parts, we'd all have 7970's!!

12. Alkihaul
    Veteran

Leasing would be beneficial if you were buying the card for work and could write it off as an operational expense rather then capital purchase. Not sure how i can justify a 7970 for work... Nor own my own business to take advantage LOL.

13. EniGmA1987

If you needed massive amount of rendering power or for scientific data crunching then you could use it as a business expense. A single 7970 card has 3.79 terraflops of processing power at stock speeds. That is a truly massive amount of crunching power.

14. mwhays
    Veteran

yep youre right. or if you have a music/video productions business in which you do renders all the time..... uh oh... I have a vision of a pair of these coming.... oh no! I must buy!