Best Headset

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Rumor, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Rumor
    Veteran Star Citizen Member

Head Swim Instructor/Aquatic Director
    I need a top of the line headset. One that will last for a while. My favorite headset so far has been the Fatal1ty MkI and MkII. I've had the MkII for years and years. I just accidentally broke it and my replacement thermaltake shock spin sucks. I got it for free a long time ago and the audio is shit. I REQUIRE good quality audio. The mic isn't that important but I like to have it for when my HD 5000 Microsoft lifecam mic doesn't do the job.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  2. Zero
    Veteran

3. Ryld Baenre
    Veteran FPS Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  4. Erock
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Sales / Hockey
    I have the Sound Blaster Creative Omega super duper ones ... work with all consoles and PC at same time :)

5. EniGmA1987
    Veteran Staff Member Xenforcer

Most Sennheiser's are of top quality. I have had PC350 for something like 4-5 years now and it still looks and works great. My HD280 Pro's lasted something like 10 years before they were in too bad of shape to use. The sound quality of these headsets is far and above better than any of those cheap PC brands like Logitech and Creative

6. Erock
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Sales / Hockey
    yeah i wish they made set that would work for alllll consoles :(

7. Noollab
    Veteran Crowfall Member

Programmer
    My vote goes for the Logitech G930s.
    I'm no audiophile, and I haven't owned enough different headsets to say anything about the quality in comparison with other headsets, but I think the sound is amazing.

Also, motherfucking wireless freedom!

8. Rumor

Wow, thanks for the responses fellas! Much love! I'm looking into getting a Sennheiser.

9. EniGmA1987

Their newest high end gaming headset is the G4ME One, it costs the same as the PC360 does and looks similar too. I know the older PC350 and PC360 models have exceptional build quality and sound, and I assume the newer G4ME One to be of the same. If you cant afford these higher end models then I would suggest trying to find a PC323 headset. Some people have said build quality is lower, while others said it is plenty good build quality. So that model may be hit or miss, not sure. The PC323 has good sound quality though and is a Dolby 7.1 surround headset, something I had never been a fan of till hearing the PC323.

10. Utherix

Plantronics Gamecom. Good quality set with a microphone. Very durable. 80$ but I've seen them on sale for 50$.

11. Rumor

12. Doxy
    Veteran Camelot Unchained Member

I have Sennheiser pc 360 and love em. Very comfortable for long hour gaming.
    Not heavy and i don't feel like im getting a bold spot on my head =]
    Good mic/sound quality imho.

13. Doxy
    Veteran Camelot Unchained Member

14. EniGmA1987

Ya I dont know why you can only find it for $400+ from Amazon. You can buy the G4ME One direct from Sennheiser for $250.
    http://en-us.sennheiser.com/g4me-one - open back
    http://en-us.sennheiser.com/g4me-zero - closed back

As for your other links, you need to decide if you want Dolby virtual surround or not. If so, the PC363 is the way to go. If not, the PC350 and PC360 are very good options. The differences are that the 350 is closed back design while the 360 is open back. Honestly the PC360 is better as it toook the slightly older model PC350 and fixed and improved all the little things wrong with the headset. The PC350 isnt bad by any stretch, but if you do a small mod to it then they get a lot deeper bass response which the PC360 will have already right out of the box.

One last option (for considerably higher cost) if you want a really high end, custom headset would be the Beyerdynamic MMX300 Manufakture:
    http://north-america.beyerdynamic.c...s-and-headsets/gaming/mmx-300-manufaktur.html

The difference between Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic is that Senn tends to have a more neutral sound and more defined midrange, while Beyerdynamic has brighter top end and usually more pronounced bass. It is about what sound style you prefer.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  15. NefariousVII
    Veteran

I am also a Sennheiser user! I happen to have the PC363D's---and let me tell you that the virtual surround does a great job of "wrapping" the sound stage around your head, if I may use completely lowbrow analogies for my point. ;)

I also wanted to throw down my 2 cents, that the reason I love my Sennheisers so much is that the audio precision is so good. When I play CS:GO, I do a damn good job of accurately placing where the enemy is when they step on concrete, jump on a crate, etc.

On PlanetSide 2, what I have done is I actualy have turned down the Sound Effects volume, and kept the Master Volume and Voice Emote volumes at max. Then I just turn up my system volume until the Sound Effects come across at the level I wanted them to when the in-game volume was at max. With my Sennheiser 363D's, I can now hear an enemy's cry for healing, repairs, or spot calls as if they were literally yelling it. I can even hear their echo when I'm on Indar, lol. I can hear them when they are on the other side of a large base and I can generally pinpoint them very well.

16. Rbstr
    Veteran

The Dolby surround is pretty much a gimmick. Many sound cards can do simulated surround.

The "best headset" isn't a headset but a good pair of cans and a clip on microphone.
    http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...e=UTF8&qid=1391616273&sr=8-2&keywords=ath+m50
    Field serviceable, replaceable everythings. Comfortable. Great sound.

+

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic...1391616309&sr=8-1&keywords=clip+on+microphone
    good enough and cheap.

And, this way, if one part of the system goes there's less hassle.

And if your onboard sound or current soundcard sucks you add a good one and still come in under the cost of one of those headsets and come away with better audio gear.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  17. Rumor

Amazon is the only place I'd be buying from since I can just use my thankyou points from my CC and get a ton of money off. I'm probably going to just get the 363D.

18. Rumor

I can't thank you guys enough. Cheers

19. tommit22

Frontier / Intuit
    I agree with this guy, best headset I've ever owned.

20. Dag
    Veteran

Got one too, it's sweet.