110hz display on PC

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Xeiiib, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Xeiiib
    Veteran Star Citizen Member

Radiation Stuff
    I have a Westinghouse 42inch, that has the capability to display at 110hz, that I use as my PC display. I also have a Radeon 7800, not sure of the exact 7800 model but can check in the morning. Catalyst control center only displays 60hz for any options as max. Just looking for some guidance on how to set this up or how to determine if my setup can support 110hz. If anyone need information to assist, let me know and ill post it in the morning. Thanks.

2. Rubius
    Veteran Xenforcer

Software Engineer
    Have you right-clicked on the desktop to open screen resolution, then try change it from there?

If it doesn't let you change to 110hz, you should be able to force it, somehow. I forced my laptop's display to 75hz using the nVidia control panel.

It's also possible that your TV supports 110hz on certain inputs, but not others. (ie. it may support it for HDMI, but not for VGA).

3. EniGmA1987
    Veteran Staff Member Xenforcer

It will probably only display 120Hz on a certain input, and in a certain mode. Even then you need to verify it is a true 120Hz display and not using interpolation crap. Normally a PC will not ever be able to run at 120Hz on a TV just by plugging it in. You can always try to unlock your graphics driver and set up a custom resolution to see if it will work.
    http://www.monitortests.com/
    Download the pixel clock patcher for your AMD card and use the CRU utility to set your resolution.

4. Rubius
    Veteran Xenforcer

Software Engineer
    I also just realized, PCs can only output at >60hz if you're using a dual-link DVI cable, not a regular DVI cable. The TV also needs to have a dual-link DVI input, as converting DL DVI to HDMI will not work (just tried it myself).

I'm not even sure if any TVs have DL DVI input, (monitors do) but that might be the only way to get 110hz from your PC.

5. Ryld Baenre
    Veteran FPS Member

Displayport will also output a 120 Hz signal @ 1080p. I'm not sure if there will be the possibility of 120 Hz on the HDMI 2.0 standard..... depends how much the bandwidth was increased.

6. twinblades
    Veteran

Student
    It is probably because your display doesn't really support 110 Hz. It is most likely advertised like that because of the interpolation. I have yet to find a TV which will accept an input signal which is greater than 60 Hz. If it is able to the only way to get a 1080p signal at that high of a refreshing rate is either a DisplayPort (1.2), Dual-Link DVI, or HDMI (1.4b). I have also yet to see a TV with DisplayPort or Dual-Link DVI so you would also need to make sure if you are using HDMI that your TVs HDMI ports accept 1.4b which came out in October 2011 I believe.

7. EniGmA1987

Panasonic VT50 plasma screens can accept a 96Hz and 120Hz input signal from a PC :)

8. twinblades
    Veteran

Student
    Damn. I was trying to find one for a while and kept hitting a dead end with so many of them just using the stupid interpolation. Well that is awesome. I was curious about the HDTV you said and searched the model you suggested only to find this forum... http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438092/list-of-hdtvs-with-120hz-native-refresh-ability-forcing-1080p-120hz-via-dvi-or-hdmi-from-computer. It lists multiple other HDTVs which people have successfully achieved 120Hz with their PCs. I figured maybe someone would be interested in it. Also it shows how to do it.

9. EniGmA1987

The model I have is a TC-P55VT50. It comes with native ability for 96Hz display and automatically selects this mode for 24 fps bluray and DVD content to provide smoother motion. In addition, it uses the same 10 subfields for each frame so if you go by marketing speak is technically a 960Hz display (lol). There are quite a few TVs that will run 96Hz for bluray content so every single one of them should be able to accept a true 96Hz signal from a PC, and from there it is just a bit of overclocking to get it up to 120Hz. There are also a few TVs that can do true 120Hz display instead of using interpolation, but those are few and far between. Nicer TVs that can do this always have higher quality panels anyway so even if you do run a true 120Hz then your refresh rate of the panel itself will be so low that you wont properly see your full 120Hz signal, it will usually cap around 96-100Hz. This is why plasma screens are the best if you are going to do this because they are completely different technology that uses phosphor cells instead of pixels and the refresh rate is sub 1 millisecond (usually around 0.1 ms) which allows you to properly display any speed you could ever possibly get to. The "decay" on the phosphor is also a lot better than a pixel on an LCD screen which is why plasma's have always had better motion capabilities. The only way LCD panels can ever beat out a plasma screen when it comes to motion is to shut off the backlight for the panel between refreshes so that the person watching doesnt see the pixel decay and streaking of motion. This is pretty new tech for LCD's and is only available on the highest end models you can get, but also recently came to PC monitors in the form of what Nvidia calls "lightboost".

As for your problem Xeiiib, as it was said before I doubt the TV can display a true 120Hz signal. Use the link I posted earlier in this thread or the one Twinblades posted and see if you can set yourself up a custom resolution to make it work.

10. FriendlyFire
    Veteran Star Citizen Member

Enigma, do you mean LED or LCD?

11. EniGmA1987

LCD, the LED tech is just a backlight for LCD panels. So by "shutting off the backlight between refreshes" what it would mean is that the LED backlights for the LCD panel would actually turn off completely (so no image can be seen) and the LED's only get pulsed on every 8.33 miliseconds. To the human eye you wouldnt notice anything except that the image isnt as bright, this is because the pulses would be so fast that you cant truly see them. However you will see the effects these pulses create, which is perfectly smooth motion due to there being no backlight on during pixel decay times. An LCD panel itself has all the pixels, but you cannot see these pixels at all unless there is a backlight behind the panel shining its light through. This light shining through allows you to see the pixels on the LCD panel. This kind of technology may sound very strange and like it would never work, but it is sort of similar to how brightness up/down is handled on all LCD panels now days anyway. PWM, or pulse width modulation, pulses the LED backlight on and off already and to make the image less bright simply doesnt pulse the LED's as often. When a display is turned up to fuill brightness the LEDs never pulse because they are on 100% of the time. The human eye doesnt see this happening because it happens so fast, however we detect the effects of it where the display just looks dimmer to our eyes. There are some people whos brains cannot handle this pulsing properly though, and that is when people get terrible headaches from looking at a display for an hour or so.

And FYI, a plasma panel does not have a backlight at all. The same phosphor cells that are the actual pixels of the display actually generate their own light and these cells are what you see.